Thursday, April 3, 2014

Picking Up The Blog Again!

Well, since my mom and sister-in-law have taken the blogging world by storm I thought I should dust off my blogging skills and use it to update the world on my life and my path toward becoming a teacher. I initially created this blog as a final project for an education class, and I thought it was the perfect place to keep a record of my journey to teaching.

There have been A LOT of changes since I last looked at this blog. I mean A LOT has happened in my life and for my career path. At the end of my sophomore year (the last time I blogged on here) I took the step to study abroad at Oxford! I kept a separate travel blog for it, which I plan on getting printed into a book, but I'll post a few of my favorite pictures on here. I don't even know where to begin on what that trip meant to me. It was the most amazing experience of my life and has totally shifted my passions. My heart lies in Jolly Old England now! If I didn't have anything tying me to the States, I would KILL to go teach in England when I finish school. But, with an incredibly supportive family, a wonderful boyfriend, and a desire to get my masters, I'm thinking that's not in the cards. That said, I get my British fix in every way I can. Whether it's curling up with an Austen novel (she's not my favorite but you can't get much more British than Jane Austen), having a scone and clotted cream with my mom, or binge watching Downton Abbey over and over again, I am in love with everything British (much to my brother Scott's dismay...He and I will forever fight about whether British History or U.S. History is more interesting). I found every moment in England breathtaking, and since I came home I have decided to pursue a certification in British Irish Studies at UGA. I already completed the most difficult part of the certificate--classes in the UK-- so I thought it would be a waste if I didn't try to finish it up. I had always planned on teaching 12th grade Literature, which is British Lit, so it worked out just "smashing."
Phone Booth Shot in Oxford

Balliol College where I had class. Built in 1263!
Outing in Stratford. Seeing a little Shakespeare.
Tossing a coin at the Roman Baths
My Beautiful Roomies at Trafalgar Square
Views from the London Eye
This semester has been CRAZY. And that's not just me being a college student and whining. It has been crazy. In order to complete my BISP certificate, I had to take 19 hours this semester. Ha. HA. I now understand why my advisor gave me funny looks when I told her my plan. I'm taking the following courses this semester:

  • British History from 1600 to the Present
  • British History from 1600 to 1900 (The Age of Revolution)
  • Selected Topics in Shakespeare
  • The 18th Century Novel
  • Special Ed: Inclusion for 7-12 Grade
  • Tennis (UGA requires all students to take a PE)
  • ESOL for Grades P-12
My English classes were my last required English classes for my English Education major, and I was able to choose classes that overlapped with my BISP requirements (woohoo!). I love my 18th Century Novel class (not so much the reading, but my professor is Awesome!) but my Shakespeare class...well...let's just say the struggle has been real, but I will hopefully still walk away with a B in there! My history classes are FASCINATING. They're both taught by the same guy (back to back...and sometimes the lecture material overlaps can you say snooze fest sometimes??? zzzzz). But I have HUGE papers due for him at the end of the month so I will be disappearing into the depths of the library soon.

I've started preparing lesson plans in both my ESOL class (I'm getting an endorsement on my teaching certificate in ESOL) and my SPED classes. I thought this was going to be boring and tedious but I LOVE IT. I love trying to come up with exciting ways to teach material in  my class and it's so fun organizing everything! This week has really reminded me that this is SO what I want to do.

In addition to those crazy amounts of classes, I'm also interning at Oglethorpe Avenue Elementary School in the Media Center. My boss is super fun and I've made some really good friends with the girls I work with. Some of the little kids are, well we'll just call them "firecrackers", but I love going over there during the afternoon and decompressing in the library. I sort books, run checkout, make displays, decorate, repair damaged books, and help kids find what they're looking for. We just had Book Fair, which was insane, but a lot of fun! So in case you were wondering where this fit into my day, it barely does. On Mondays, I go to back to back classes from 9:05 to 12:05. Then I rush over to the elementary school and tutor ESOL students until 2:30, when I come back to campus for my SPED class from 3:30 to 4:45. Then Wednesdays and Fridays instead of ESOL tutoring I'm in the library with my internship.

My Biography for my Internship
I'm still in the Orchestra, which happens from 6:30 to 8:30 on Tuesday nights (yeah, that's a painfully long amount of time to hold up a violin) and it's still pretty fun. I got promoted to first violin, which was really scary to me and I'm still learning how to fit in a million notes into one beat, but I like the challenge.

I have taken on a little more responsibility with Honors Program Student Council this semester. I even organized a lecture and corresponding service event! I had the shelter director of Athens Area Homeless Shelter come in and give a lecture about homelessness in the city of Athens, and then organized a day where HPSC kids cooked a meal for the residents of the shelter. The lecture had a surprisingly good turn out and the meal went off without a hitch. It was a great feeling. Next I'm in charge of getting enough Chickfila coffee and desserts for our biggest lecture of the year...180 came to it two years ago. That's a lot of Chickfila. Here's hoping I don't drop the ball on this one!

My latest bit of academic news was that I recently interviewed to be one of the UGA College of Education's first ever student ambassadors. I have wanted to be a student ambassador since coming to college and it has never worked out. I thought about not even bothering to apply, but I thought I would give it one more try. They called me back for an interview and they picked me!!!! I am beyond excited to start giving back to the College of Education! Our first event will be helping with the COE's Convocation in May. We have a welcome lunch and a "photo shoot" with the Dean of the COE next week.

I also had my orientation for my English Education Cohort last week. I was accepted into the Cohort in March (after stressing for months, it was their largest number of applicants EVER. 45 candidates and 25 spots. Gulp.). It was basically just a welcome and informational meeting, but there was a panel of students who are currently student teaching. It was nice to get to ask them our questions. I also filled out a survey about where I want to do my student teaching. Fingers crossed I get an amazing placement.

My first Student Teacher Name Tag! 
I think that's all the big news for my Junior year. Seems like a lot? Well it feels like a ton! But I'm enjoying seeing just how much I am capable of, and looking forward to sharing more about my path to teaching on my revamped blog!







No comments:

Post a Comment