Sunday, April 6, 2014

Building My Library

As someone who hopes to become an English teacher, it kind of comes with the the territory that I love reading. I've kept all of my books from my English classes here at UGA. They are filled with my notes and thoughts from when I was reading them, and I hope to use those someday to teach my students. But I've also recently started building a collection of books for my own personal library. When I was in England I got to go to Jane Austen's cottage, as well as her brother's estate. It was really pretty there, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a  copy of Pride and Prejudice while I was there. Taking a moment to read the first chapter in Jane Austen's garden was a pretty surreal experience.

When I got back I discovered that Penguin makes really beautiful editions of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novels. He's the author that made me realize my love of literature, so he will always have a place in my heart. So far I've gotten The Great Gatsby and Tender is the Night. I'll be working on finishing up that set of his novels.

For my birthday my wonderful parents got me a first edition printing of a limited edition version of The Great Gatsby. It is so beautiful and it was so thoughtful of them to give me such a meaningful gift.

Yesterday was the latest edition to my library! My sweet boyfriend Nick gave me a gift card to Barnes and Noble. They have a beautiful selection of collector's edition classics. I had a hard time deciding which novels I wanted (kudos to Nick for the patience he showed while I stood there debating which books I wanted). I figured out pretty soon that there was only one option for what to get! They had really pretty collections of the Bronte sisters' novels and a collection of all of Jane Austen's novels. I got ten novels basically for the price of one thanks to Nick's sweet gift! Afterward, Nick and I went to the gym at UGA and I started reading Jane Eyre while Nick showed off for me at the climbing wall. Then we went and played tennis together (a new hobby that we have both started doing together that we are both really enjoying. Look for us at Wimbledon next year, we're going pro). It was a perfect day for this book lover!

Now all I need is a bookshelf for all of these books...Dad, looks like it's time to come visit me in Athens!

The sweet boy who got me my books!
The start of my library! 

No comments:

Post a Comment